A flash of the obvious.
I am a part of a small writer's circle at church. We meet every other week, read stuff we've written, listen to each other's writing. Very nice. Community building. Given the very diverse nature of the church itself the group gives me a chance to witness people and hear stories I would otherwise never be exposed to...and, of course, to be witnessed and heard.
Most members write from direct experience. I tend to write short fiction. It's a nice practice. Since I like - check that; I love- seemingly random combinations (I once knew a traffic reporter slash actress who also occasionally trance channeled an oracle from ancient Greece...) my short stores are almost always a based on some whiff of actual events in my life - which I then play around with, combine in some false way, and make fiction. This is many fiction writers' process...obviously.
Speaking of the obvious: It occurred to me that it is the American media's process as well. Take actual events, stir gently, and then pour the mix into a largely fictional mold that looks remarkably similar to reality when the concotion is presented on television.
Hmmm. So there you have it...my flash of the obvious...That's all I have to say this Friday morning.
USC plays that school across town on Saturday - I must now sacrifice a chicken to the Trojan gods and then do some work... see ya in about 4 hours with a lunch break post...
Most members write from direct experience. I tend to write short fiction. It's a nice practice. Since I like - check that; I love- seemingly random combinations (I once knew a traffic reporter slash actress who also occasionally trance channeled an oracle from ancient Greece...) my short stores are almost always a based on some whiff of actual events in my life - which I then play around with, combine in some false way, and make fiction. This is many fiction writers' process...obviously.
Speaking of the obvious: It occurred to me that it is the American media's process as well. Take actual events, stir gently, and then pour the mix into a largely fictional mold that looks remarkably similar to reality when the concotion is presented on television.
Hmmm. So there you have it...my flash of the obvious...That's all I have to say this Friday morning.
USC plays that school across town on Saturday - I must now sacrifice a chicken to the Trojan gods and then do some work... see ya in about 4 hours with a lunch break post...

<< Home